Press Releases<< Back
INSERTING and REPLACING Herbalife and the Federal Trade Commission Reach Settlement Agreement
Settlement Does Not Change Herbalife's Business Model as a
The corrected release reads:
HERBALIFE AND THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION REACH SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT
Settlement Does Not Change Herbalife's Business Model as a
Global nutrition company
Herbalife and the
"The settlements are an acknowledgment that our business model is sound
and underscore our confidence in our ability to move forward
successfully, otherwise we would not have agreed to the terms," stated
While the Company believes that many of the allegations made by the FTC are factually incorrect, the Company believes settlement is in its best interest because the financial cost and distraction of protracted litigation would have been significant, and after more than two years of cooperating with the FTC's investigation, the Company simply wanted to move forward. Moreover, the Company's management can now focus all of its energies on continuing to build the business and exploring strategic business opportunities.
The Company's Board of Directors ("Board") unanimously approved the
settlements and voluntarily established an Oversight Committee of the
Board ("Committee") that will ensure full compliance with the terms of
the agreement. The Board also appointed
The Oversight Committee complements the Board's ongoing commitment to lead the industry while continuously improving customer protections and satisfaction. During the past few years, the Board has engaged experts in the field of consumer protection to advise them on regulatory compliance and best practices leading to many of the enhanced safeguards that were previously implemented and are being expanded in today's agreement.
The terms of the settlement apply only to the Company's sales in the
- Those who currently have a membership with Herbalife, and those coming into the business, will be categorized as either a preferred member (those who become a preferred member to purchase products at a discount) or distributor (those who choose to build a business and sell products through direct sales). This will allow Herbalife to better track both groups and provide a personalized experience for these individuals.
Distributors will be compensated based upon retail sales and will
provide receipts for their transactions. Their compensation will also
be based on purchase for personal consumption within allowable limits.
Herbalife's independent distributors are currently required to keep
sales transaction receipts. With advancements in mobile technology,
tracking retail sales is now even easier, and the Company has already
developed proprietary technological solutions including a mobile
application in the
U.S.to make the process as efficient and easy as possible.
Other terms agreed to include enhancing training provided to distributors; requiring a business plan and a one-year waiting period before opening a nutrition club; extending the amount of time a distributor may return an initial membership pack; paying for all shipping costs associated with any returned products; prohibiting auto-shipment of products; auditing by an independent third party; and extending the protections on income claims including greater specificity around lifestyle claims.
Importantly, as was the case with the FTC's Amway decision in 1979 (In
the Matter of
Furthermore, as previously referenced in the Company's public disclosure
The Company additionally announced that it has granted
"I have always believed in Herbalife's strong fundamentals and am
pleased the Board has decided to increase my ownership limit from 25% to
34.99% of the Company's outstanding shares. A significant part of my
investment success is directly tied to our in-depth investment research
and understanding of often complex and unique issues facing companies,"
The American economy is full of people searching for supplemental income
and those who choose to sell Herbalife products are no different.
Companies like Uber,
Consumer satisfaction with Herbalife's nutrition products and services is of paramount importance and like all good companies, Herbalife has evolved some of its policies and practices over the past decade to ensure that its customers and more than 4 million preferred members and independent distributors have the best experience possible. Herbalife remains committed to working with all of its customers and independent distributors to ensure an exceptional experience and to continuing its commitment to consumer protections.
As the Company concludes this matter and looks to a promising future, it hopes that those who have shorted the Company's stock will finally understand their thesis is misinformed and flawed, and the Company will withstand any market-manipulation campaign, even an unprecedented one that has lasted more than three years and cost a billionaire short seller hundreds of millions of dollars in addition to significant reputational damage and a loss of credibility with investors.
For more information, visit www.Herbalife.com/StrongerThanEver.
Herbalife is a global nutrition company that has been changing people's lives with great products since 1980. Our nutrition, weight-management, energy and fitness and personal care products are available exclusively to and through dedicated independent Herbalife distributors in more than 90 countries. We are committed to fighting the worldwide problems of poor nutrition and obesity by offering high-quality products, one-on-one coaching with an Herbalife distributor and a community that inspires customers to live a healthy, active life.
The company has over 8,000 employees worldwide, and its shares are
traded on the
This release contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning
of the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation
Reform Act of 1995. Although we believe that the expectations reflected
in any of our forward-looking statements are reasonable, actual results
could differ materially from those projected or assumed in any of our
forward-looking statements. Our future financial condition and results
of operations, as well as any forward-looking statements, are subject to
change and to inherent risks and uncertainties, such as those disclosed
or incorporated by reference in our filings with the
- our relationship with, and our ability to influence the actions of, our distributors or preferred members;
- improper action by our employees, distributors or preferred members in violation of applicable law;
- adverse publicity associated with our products or network marketing organization, including our ability to comfort the marketplace and regulators regarding our compliance with applicable laws;
- changing consumer preferences and demands;
- the competitive nature of our business;
regulatory matters governing our products, including potential
governmental or regulatory actions concerning the safety or efficacy
of our products and network marketing program, including the direct
selling market in which we operate, as well as the impact of our
settlement orders with the FTC and
- legal challenges to our network marketing program;
risks associated with operating internationally and the effect of
economic factors, including foreign exchange, inflation, disruptions
or conflicts with our third party importers, pricing and currency
devaluation risks, especially in countries such as
uncertainties relating to interpretation and enforcement of
Chinagoverning direct selling;
our inability to obtain the necessary licenses to expand our direct
selling business in
- adverse changes in the Chinese economy;
- our dependence on increased penetration of existing markets;
- contractual limitations on our ability to expand our business;
- our reliance on our information technology infrastructure and outside manufacturers;
- the sufficiency of trademarks and other intellectual property rights;
- product concentration;
- our reliance upon, or the loss or departure of any member of, our senior management team which could negatively impact our preferred member or distributor relations and operating results;
U.S.and foreign laws and regulations applicable to our international operations;
- restrictions imposed by covenants in our credit facility;
- uncertainties relating to the application of transfer pricing, duties, value added taxes, and other tax regulations, and changes thereto;
- changes in tax laws, treaties or regulations, or their interpretation;
- taxation relating to our preferred members or distributors;
- product liability claims;
our incorporation under the laws of the
- whether we will purchase any of our shares in the open markets or otherwise; and
- share price volatility related to, among other things, speculative trading and certain traders shorting our common shares.
We do not undertake any obligation to update or release any revisions to any forward-looking statement or to report any events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events, except as required by law.
News Provided by Acquire Media